Adobe Studio

This Adobe Studio is the centerpiece of everything I’ve done to date.   All models are original and all textures  were hand-made.   I ran into a lot of problems with poly-counts later on in the project because of the scope of everything in the scene.   Actually got to the point where the scene took 15 minutes too open, and ended picking up different tricks to reduce the counts and reduce the lag.

AdobeBump1.jpgAdobeBump2.jpgAdobeBump3.jpgCouchBump1.jpgCouchBump2.jpgCouchBump3.jpgCouchBump4.jpg

Just playing around with bump maps.   In my adobe project, I fine tuned a staccato map to achieve the adobe look.   In kinda the same way, when messing around with the cloth bump map I used on the couch, I figured out that you can get a worn cushion appearance by cranking the “Width Spread” all the way up.

c33-OrangeWood.jpgc42-PaintedWood.jpgc74-GarageDoor Wood.jpgc85-CloudedOrangeWood.jpgc89-Adobe1.jpgc92-newspad.jpgGlass Texture.jpgGondolaMetal.jpgGreen Tower Dark.jpgGreen Tower Light.jpgLeanTo Metal.jpgLeanTo Wood.jpgPricklyPearFruitFull.jpgSanPedroCactusTexture.jpg

Various hand-made textures.   Fairly straight forward if all you need a material texture (adobe, scratched glass, scuffed metal etc.), just play around with filters and brushes until you get the desired effect.

 

Gondola Assets

A project I toyed around with after getting back from one of my trips in Telluride.    I find that with complicated objects like these, it’s a lot easier to model the individual components and “build” them like you would in real life, rather than trying to pull all the details out of one mesh.

 

Lean-To Shelter

One of my side projects, the concept was to come up with a shelter design that is cheap, easy to construct, off the grid and can be built without a permit.   This is what I came up with.   Factoring in cost of lumber, sealant, screws and sheet metal, this lean-to prices under $500.   The base dimensions are only 10′ x 10′, which skirts the building permit requirements for most rural counties, and simple design makes construction relatively easy, even for single individuals.   Insulation can easily be added after the fact for colder seasons, and for another $500 solar panels and batteries can be added (though you may need a permit for that).   If you’re looking for your own place to crash a few times a year ( and don’t mind the bugs) something like this may be the easiest option.

 

Tire Tread Study

 

PipeTire1 NormalEdit.jpgPipeTire1 SmoothEdit.jpgPipeTire1Edit.jpgPipeTire2 NormalEdit.jpgPipeTire2 SmoothEdit.jpgPipeTire2Edit.jpg

This started out as part of several other projects I’m working on that rely heavily on realistic tires.   While it’s easy enough to just use a texture map for the treads, I was trying to work out a way to actually model in the details and this is what I came up with.   These are made up of 2 parts: an inner tire for use in the wall and inside, and outer edge that ends up as the tread.   After cutting the outer tread down to a quarter, extrude ridges into the tread at regular intervals.   Don’t worry about creating the tread pattern vertically, for now you just need straight, parallel ditches in the tread.   Switch to a head-on view of the tire.   From here on out it is pretty ; you select entire rows vertices and rotate them around the tire to create the desired tread.

 

Red River Landscape

Red River NormalSmall.jpgRed River Render1.jpgRed RIver Render2.jpgRed RIver Render3.jpgRed RIver Render4.jpgRed River RenderSat.JPG.jpgrrBitmapWM.jpgrrDepositionmapWM.jpgrrFlowmapWM.jpgrrHeightmapWM.jpgrrSnowmaskWM.jpgrrWearmapWM.jpg

Here I was trying to get the workflow down for generating detailed terrain in conjunction with google earth.   In a nutshell, after picking a location (in this case Red River, NM) I use Google Earth to figure out the topography, and roughly sculpt it in Mudbox.   Once I have all the larger features sculpted in, I export a height map and take it into World Machine to add detail using erosion and flow tools.   I then export that height map and bring it back into Mudbox to fix any artifacts and export the obj.

 

Rock Sculpting

Another exercise testing the use of normal maps, here I was just going for a realistic rock model.   After sculpting it out in Mudbox, I exported it to Maya.   I brought the poly-count down to a reasonable level and used normal mapping to add the detail back in.